grub-devel

Re: How to enable MM debugging?

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: How to enable MM debugging?
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 17:17:03 +0300

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Stanislav Kholmanskikh
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Does anybody use MM debugging? If so, what is the recommended/working
> way of enabling it?
>
> These steps do not work:
>
> 1. Run ./configure with '--enable-mm-debug'. It reports:
>
> With memory debugging: Yes
>
> 2. Then build and install the binaries, and install the boot loader
>
> 3. Then set 'grub_mm_debug=1' in the grub's prompt.

This environment variable is not used.

> grub> set grub_mm_debug=1
> grub> insmod ofnet
> grub>
>
> During initialization, ofnet calls grub_malloc(), so I expect some debug
> messages to be printed on 'insmod ofnet'.
>
> Am I missing something, or is it a bug?

Either patch grub to assign grub_mm_debug=1 in grub-core/kern/mm.c or
create simple command to do it at run-time. The latter may be
considered for inclusion, although honestly I am not sure how
particular useful mm debugging is.