grub-devel

Re: What GPL requirements are implied by publishing an ISO with GRUB bin

From: SevenBits Tech
Subject: Re: What GPL requirements are implied by publishing an ISO with GRUB binaries ?
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2017 20:02:49 -0400

While I don't have specific quotes from the GPL to share in regards to this
situation, it is my understanding that, yes, you are required to provide the
source code used to build the compiled binary. This is because every person who
receives the software has the right to the source used to build it.

I believe there is an exception for commonly used libraries and tools needed to
build the code (e.g., if GCC is needed to build the code, you do not need to
include the source to GCC as it is a common package). However, this most
assuredly does not apply in this circumstance.

Where are you distributing your ISO? Perhaps you could just put the code on a
public FTP site, and include its link in the Readme. Or, I believe you could
charge a small fee to mail the software to the user on a disc, but no more than
is absolutely necessary to comply with the source distribution requirement.

Hope this helps.