grub-devel

Re: Maturity of GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?

From: Lennart Sorensen
Subject: Re: Maturity of GRUB on powerpc/ppc64?
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:47:29 -0400

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 06:36:33PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Are you sure? The parted manual seems to say otherwise:
>
> > http://www.hep.by/gnu/parted/set.html
>
> And I can fix the problem by manually running the parted command:
>
>       set prep 1 on

No I am not sure.  I know there is a partition type for it though, and
the debian installer for powerpc always created it properly on an IBM
pseries for me so I never looked at the details.

Looking at the parted source code, they are abusing flags to store things
that are not flags.  So it if sees partition type 0x41, it sets the "flag"
prep.  Setting the "flag" prep makes it set the partition type to 0x41.

So yes, it is in fact a partition type, and it does not need any flags
set by the looks of it.

--
Len Sorensen