grub-devel

Re: GRUB 2.06 release

From: Pete Batard
Subject: Re: GRUB 2.06 release
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 21:06:26 +0100

Hi Eli,

On 2020.10.20 20:12, Eli Schwartz wrote:
I'd like to instead propose a third option though. grub could benefit
from a policy to fork off maintenance branches for CVE fixes, and all
distros would upgrade to 2.04.1 (or 2.02.1), then later on a couple of
rolling release distros would upgrade to 2.06 once it is released.

That sounds like a good alternative too.

Major vulnerabilities such as BootHole need to see some kind of "emergency" release(s) that focuses solely on addressing them. Whether it's a 2.04.1 or a fast tracking of 2.06 (and then moving the non vulnerability related work into a new 2.07) is up to the maintainers, as it's really the delay of seeing any kind of official release with the vulnerability fixed that is a problem.

Of course, this is easier said than done, but, to be honest, I don't think the apparent decision (at least that's how it looks from an outside perspective) of trying to fold BootHole fixes into the 2.06 release has been for the best...

Regards,

/Pete