grub-devel

Re: Dell BIOS issue reading Disk Extended data

From: Guilherme Piccoli
Subject: Re: Dell BIOS issue reading Disk Extended data
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 11:43:44 -0300

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 2:43 PM K, Narendra <Narendra.K@dell.com> wrote:

> > noise.
> > >
> > > Most of the guys you CC'ed from Dell work on client related things,
> > > not servers.  So I'll move some of the client guys off of this thread
> > > into BCC.
> > > @K, Narendra can you please raise this with the appropriate team?
> > >

> > Thanks Mario and K, Narendra - do we have any news about that?
> > Cheers,
>
> Hi Guilherme,
>
> Sorry for the delay in responding.

No problem Narendra K, thanks for your response!

> I checked with the team about the findings shared in this thread. Please find
> the details -
>
> The behavior seems to be working as designed. Legacy BIOS Option ROM
> implements logical block addressing support only up to 2TB.
> The option ROM will respond with 2TB as the size when queried by INT13h
> function 48h. For booting from volumes > 2TB, UEFI is needed.

So, just confirming, Dell doesn't support > 2TB offsets even using the
extended 64-bit offset from service 48h? I just want to confirm that
is a support limitation from Dell, I've tested another vendor and that
works in their machine, I could address > 2TB devices.

In case this is unsupported by Dell, do you have an official
documentation I can refer, to our customer?
Thanks again,

Guilherme