grub-devel

Re: Running bootstrap script fails on Debian unstable

From: Mihai Moldovan
Subject: Re: Running bootstrap script fails on Debian unstable
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 15:59:07 +0100

* On 2/20/23 15:26, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> These are standard macros, so if autoconf cannot find them, something really
>> weird must be going on. You'll probably have to strace autoreconf to figure
>> out
>> what it's reading. Unfortunately, debugging autotools is a nightmare.
>
> Well, autoconf was changed in incompatible ways with version 2.70 and I
> assume that
> this is the problem. See for example [1].

True, but I briefly looked up what changed and none of these core macros have
been removed or deprecated and the new, stricter quoting rules have also worked
before and grub has either been updated accordingly or almost almost used
correct quoting from the beginning.

Given that those core macros are "possibly undefined", something else must be
going on. I'd check what autoreconf/autoconf reads.

Mihai