grub-devel

grub shell: unkown commands alwasy exit with zero code

From: Itxaka serrano
Subject: grub shell: unkown commands alwasy exit with zero code
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 17:58:02 +0100

Hey all,

I opened a bug because this behaviour doesnt seem correct to me:

https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?65154

Example:

grub> hello
error: ../../grub-core/script/function.c:119:can't find command `hello'.
grub> echo $?
0

Kind of weird because on the code it seems like its returning a GRUB_ERR_UNKNOWN_COMMAND which should not be zero. I had a quick look and maybe its becuase on line 1018 of grub-core/script/execute.c we print the error but always return 0 https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/script/execute.c#n1018

Is this expected behaviour or is it a mistake and we should not only print the error but return the actual error?

Cheers,
Itxaka