gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel]New development team

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel]New development team
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:30:23 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

I want to tell you about how gtktalog is currently being developped because
some changed
occured since gtktalog-1.0.0

Juan Carlos Inostroza (jci) and Wilfried Kopp (chevdor) are two new developpers
who
joined the project. This means they have a read-write access to the CVS. It
means in no
way that we can expect anything form them: they are working for fun on their
free time.
Juan Salaverria (rael) also wants to help, but he has less time.

They are curently working on porting gtktalog on gnome2.

About me, I continue to maintain the project, meaning that I can answer to some
mails
from users, do the administrative stuff on savannah, packaging gtktalog (I
mean, make
the source .tar.gz files, but neither the rpm nor the deb), announcing it on
freshmeat.net and other places, maintaining the web site...

Mathieu is the first author of gtkatog. I sometimes have some news from him.
But he
wrote nothing since May 2000, so we can consider him as a councellor, and
sometimes take
benefit of his address book. For example, the new logo from Florent CELLAI:
Florent is a
friend of his :)

Now, here is how gtktalog will be developped:
* gtktalog-1.2: port gtktalog on gnome2. Any other bugfixes and/or new features
are
welcome but not the priority

* gtktalog-1.4: People should enjoy gtktalog-1.2 and send feedback.
gtktalog-1.4 will be
released if necessary with all the user request that can be implemented.

* gtktalog-2.0: the GUI and the engine will be split.
  - The engine will be inside a library because I have already had feedback
from users
who would like to use the engine but not the GUI for batch-mode tools.
  - The catalog files will be read thanks to another library, for similar
reasons.
  - That catalog file library, and other libraries (that use mysql, xml...)
will have
all the same API, in order to be able to use any of them, according to the
user's
wishes.

Well, currently all the efforts are put on porting gtktalog to gnome2, and I
might say
that even if it is not functional yet, I can see the changes each time I
cvs-update :)

Before I finish with this long mail, please notice that there is a new mailing
list
(gtktalog-cvs _at_ nongnu.org) that reports CVS changes and sometimes
additionnal
comments.

Yves

--