gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel]Re: Re[2]: gtktalog locale wishlist-bug

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel]Re: Re[2]: gtktalog locale wishlist-bug
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 20:21:16 +0100 (CET)

> Hi !
>
> On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:33:14 +0100 (CET)
> "Yves Mettier" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>       This is not only a bug of gtktalog, because it was found somewhere
> else, i.e. in xcdroast, which is also unable to identify disk label properly.
>       I failed to reproduce this bug under linux - when I create new ISO with
> russian name it goes allright, but the CD I am dealing with.
>       The problem, I guess, is specific to russian language only and, may be,
> some other languages that have multiple national codesets.
>       The disc I am talking about reads perfectly on windows machines, was
> made on windows and for windows only. Certainly, it uses 'cp1251'
> codepage, the one and only russian codepage developed for M$ Windows.
> Linux/unices
> usually use KOI8-R codepage that is traditional, and, in fact, better. When
> mounting
> cdrom, cp1251->koi8-r translation of
> file names is done by kernel (iocharset=koi8-r option of mount) and is
> transparent to
> applications. Such translation for CD labels is absent.
>       So, what we see now, is, in my opinion a kernel bug or 'feature' or
> intentional behaviour of unknown purposes.

Not a bug neither a feature. If this is a kernel issue, rather call this a
not-yet-implemented-feature. I mean, if it is a kernel issue, the iso9660
filesystem
does not allow you to read labels in other locales than the european one.
But how can we be sure of such an assertion ?

>       You can always insert a workaround in gtktalog, which, of corse, will
> make it even better [ an option like 'choose default cd-label
> codepage' - you can alway rip the necessary code from xchat/bitchX or some
> other
> program], but IMO this is not the hackers way of thought, which is to bug
> kernel.org
> until they release a special
> 4.20.1-locale-cdlabel-patched-on-request.

If this is a kernel bug, I agree with you and I will do nothing.
But if it is just the label-reading function in gtktalog that is not able to
read
your label, that function has to be improved.

I am not the conceptor of that function; I don't even know how and why it works.
Maybe it only works for some CD and not for others ?

> SO, what do you think, Yves ?

If you know any piece of software that is able to read your CD label, tell me
about it
and I will try to see how they do.
If you manage to make an iso of any CD that will not work with gtktalog for the
label, I
will try to hack it myself.
Otherwise, I can do nothing :(

> in  search for Graal of wisdom,