gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel] Re: Translation of a feature request [Fwd: amélioratio

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel] Re: Translation of a feature request [Fwd: amélioration gtktalog v 1.00]
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 04:29:36 +0200 (CEST)

> On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 22:17, Yves Mettier wrote:
>> Hi!
>
> Hi Yves!
>
>> Here is a "translation" of the idea mixed with my thoughts:
>> There is a tool, called "tri catalog", working on windows, that can display
>> thumbnails
>> of the images in a catalog.
>> This can be a feature of gtktalog is we add such a field in the catalog file
>> format.
>> What do you think ?
>> And in the case the file format becomes XML, is it easy to store binary data
>> (I mean,
>> the images) in XML ?
>
> Hmmm. XML is plain text only (as far as I know). But, if we can add some
> functionality to it (i mean, having a big .tgz file containing the
> catalog, thumbnails and a lot of stuff from the catalog) would do the
> trick. It's like having one big file only containing little files.

Why not :)
But I quite sure that we can put binary stuff inside xml files. I don't know
how. (And I
don't like it :)

> Also, i thought recently of having GtkTalog with an interface
> nautilus-sort-of. I mean, the tree on the left, the file as an icon,
> with the name and size. Selecting "Properties" (right click), a window
> would open with all the data the file contains. E.g. a mp3, with the id3
> info.

Well, the developers do what they like :)

> Well, just an idea.
>
> Aw, about GtkTalog. I was talking with a friend, coder of Apolos
> (Apolos.sf.net, will soon disappear from there and go to savannah), and
> saw the code og GtkTalog, just for fun. We thought it was necessary for
> the Gtk2/Gnome2 port a very big rewrite of the code. Maybe, starting it
> from scratch. (Well, not from scratch literally, reusing some of the
> functions and making an internal library to separate the GUI from the
> catalog).

He is right, and it is my idea too.
But is it better to restart from scratch ? Or should there be a transitionnal
gtktalog
that support gnome2 but with not many other features ?
Well, the code of gtktalog2 should have nearly nothing in common with
gtktalog-1.2. But
here is the question: is it better to do gtktalog2 without doing gtktalog-1.2 ?
Maybe gtktalog-1.2 would be a good experiment, and coding gtktalog2 would take
benefit
of the experience :)

Well, the only thing that should stay is the code that scan a disk. Just need
some minor
improvments.

Yves

--