gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel] XML catalog format

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel] XML catalog format
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:51:41 +0200 (CEST)

Hi!

Two new feature requests today!!! Has a gtktalog review been published in a
magazine ?

Anyway, those two features need to change the catalog format. Do you consider
that
moving to an XML format is becoming a priority ? Do you think that XML is the
best
format (compressed, of course, for smaller catalogs) ?

Remember the tests by Toni (he removed them and I don't have a copy): bzipped2
catalogs
were nearly as small as current catalogs. And I know that we have better
results with
gzip.

Is there anybody who would like to write the DTD of the new format, or at least
a sample
XML file ? Anybody to start working specifically on loading/saving catalogs in
XML ?

gnome2 support is also a priority, and the 2 priorities are independant, I
presume.
Maybe the implementation of the new catalog format can be backported to the 1.0
branch:
this depends on how it is implemented. However, we must work on the 1.2 branch
:)

Yves

--
- Homepage    - http://ymettier.free.fr - http://www.logicacmg.com -