gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel] XML tests

From: Toni Van Remortel
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel] XML tests
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 20:31:01 +0200

Hi all,

I've done some XML test with Gtktalog. The full report can be found at
http://www.nokelu.be/tmp/test_results.sxc (OpenOffice.org Calc format).

To be quick in the results, here is the summary:

Smallest file-sizes: native Gtktalog file format
Fastest saving : XML.gz

The saving time is actually a compression time measurement of the
existing XML file. Saving itself is hard to measure, since there are
buffers on hard disk, etc ...
So the XML saving can take a while (eg the MDK CD's), while the
compression might still be quite fast.

Perhaps there is no need to use XML as native file format, because the
pro's aren't very convincing (to me that is). The only pro we have, is
readability by text editors.

Conclusion so far: keep the current file format and allow XML saving as
option (for people who need to access the data from other sources).

Aside of that, my DTD knowledge is far too small to start writing one.
Perhaps I have to start learning it ;)

Regards,
--
Toni Van Remortel <address@hidden>