gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel] XML tests

From: Toni Van Remortel
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel] XML tests
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 19:12:38 +0200

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 00:26, Yves Mettier wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi Toni :)

Hi again :)

> > I've done some XML test with Gtktalog. The full report can be found at
> > http://www.nokelu.be/tmp/test_results.sxc (OpenOffice.org Calc format).
>
> Could you add the original size of the catalog ? We need to see if the
> difference is
> very big or not.

They are included in the Calc sheet. Now I also made a HTML version
(http://www.nokelu.be/tmp/test_results.html).
I redid the Gzip tests with the -9 option, to have a better result.

> (the contents are mdk cooker main, mdk cooker contrib and plf cooker)
> The difference is only 2.5%: it is not very important.

As XML, I use the XML-report, not saving. Perhaps that's the difference.
Is there already a 'save as xml' option?

> I have a very important question about your test with gzip and saving
> gtktalog catalogs:
> do you use the best compression ratio ? Do you use 9 in gtktalog (see the
> prefs) ? Do
> you use the --best or the -9 option with gzip ?

Now I did :)

> > Perhaps there is no need to use XML as native file format, because the
> > pro's aren't very convincing (to me that is). The only pro we have, is
> > readability by text editors.
>
> ... and it is easier to extend. With the current file format, we break the
> compatibility
> for any new feature we want to add.

You got a point there. I'm getting convinced, keep going ;)

> > Conclusion so far: keep the current file format and allow XML saving as
> > option (for people who need to access the data from other sources).
>
> Well, I need the difference between a gtktalog catalog and an XML.gz catalog
> compressed
> with -9 option before concluding anything :)
>
> For the time tests, I "feel" the difference: XML.gz is better :)

From a pure size/time point of view, the current format is the best. But
then there is no future improvement, problems with backward
compatibility, ...
So XML is indeed a better choice.

> > Aside of that, my DTD knowledge is far too small to start writing one.
> > Perhaps I have to start learning it ;)
>
> Well, either write a sample XML format, or write a DTD. The important is to
> have
> something working :)
> If you want to test your DTD:
> xmllint --noout --valid --dtdvalid your.dtd.file your.file.xml
> Or something similar (man xmllint or xmllint --help :)

When I have time, I'll take a look at that. I'll get me some XML books.

> Thanks for the test: very interesting yet!

Your welcome.

> And try the OOo html export: looks good :)

I know, but I never liked HTML export functions (they mostly are too
bloated). Anyhow, the HTML is available.

If you like me to test with another Gtktalog version, or test XML saving
features, just ask. I have a massive amount of CD's to test with, which
all contain different kinds of data. When I find a time-hole (like
yesterday and today), I'll perform some more tests (on my Celeron 300
[auch, slow], my Celeron 2000 laptop [nice stuff] and my AMD XP 2000+
[ah, much better]).

Regards,
--
Toni Van Remortel <address@hidden>