gtktalog-devel

Re: [Gtktalog-devel] XML tests

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: Re: [Gtktalog-devel] XML tests
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:43:49 +0200 (CEST)

> They are included in the Calc sheet. Now I also made a HTML version
> (http://www.nokelu.be/tmp/test_results.html).
> I redid the Gzip tests with the -9 option, to have a better result.

There is one result that I would like to know more about: the mdk9.0 test.
How can you get such a difference, and how can I get so close results ?
result = (xml.gz - gtktalog) / xml.gz
result (you) = 40 %
result (me) = 2.5 %

Of course we are not testing the same catalogs: I have "mdk cooker
main+contrib+plf" and
you have "mdk 9.0 main". But we both have catalogs with lots of RPMS, so either
you
would get something between 1% and 5%, or I would get someting between 30% and
50%
Why do we have so different results ?

I have the 3 "mdk 9.0 main" isos. I will do the tests myself either to
understand why
you are right, or to tell you where you are wrong :)
...when I have time :)

>> (the contents are mdk cooker main, mdk cooker contrib and plf cooker)
>> The difference is only 2.5%: it is not very important.
>
> As XML, I use the XML-report, not saving. Perhaps that's the difference.
> Is there already a 'save as xml' option?

Export and Save is nearly the same.
I think that in the future, we will remove the "report" menu entry, and have
some work
on the features that "reports" provide in order to have XML and text format to
save in.
We will also need to keep the "load" functionnality for the current format for
compatibility, but the current "save" format will be removed, just like older
formats
are already removed in the CVS version of GTKtalog :)

>> > Perhaps there is no need to use XML as native file format, because the
>> > pro's aren't very convincing (to me that is). The only pro we have, is
>> > readability by text editors.
>>
>> ... and it is easier to extend. With the current file format, we break the
>> compatibility
>> for any new feature we want to add.
>
> You got a point there. I'm getting convinced, keep going ;)

See my answer about the DTD: some new feature will be implemented easily,
thanks to the
extensibility that XML provides!!!

>> > Conclusion so far: keep the current file format and allow XML saving as
>> > option (for people who need to access the data from other sources).
>>
>> Well, I need the difference between a gtktalog catalog and an XML.gz catalog
>> compressed
>> with -9 option before concluding anything :)
>>
>> For the time tests, I "feel" the difference: XML.gz is better :)
>
> From a pure size/time point of view, the current format is the best. But
> then there is no future improvement, problems with backward
> compatibility, ...
> So XML is indeed a better choice.

Only for size. My tests are not very convincing about size, but yours are.

>> And try the OOo html export: looks good :)
>
> I know, but I never liked HTML export functions (they mostly are too
> bloated). Anyhow, the HTML is available.

HTML is good for an overview. Don't try to enhance it to have something
eye-candy. If we
want something to print, we get the OOo format, and print it with OOo. You will
agree, I
presume :)

> If you like me to test with another Gtktalog version, or test XML saving
> features, just ask. I have a massive amount of CD's to test with, which
> all contain different kinds of data. When I find a time-hole (like
> yesterday and today), I'll perform some more tests (on my Celeron 300
> [auch, slow], my Celeron 2000 laptop [nice stuff] and my AMD XP 2000+
> [ah, much better]).

You could upgrade to 1.0.4, but there is no change in XML export, so this is
not a need.
You will have the same results.

When the XML stuff looks good, I will start to implement it, then commit to the
CVS, and
then everybody will be able to improve it (I will commit something very basic
of course,
to commit as soon as possible :)

Yves

--