gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel] Re: GTKtalog 1.0.4 - Feedback & Desiderata

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel] Re: GTKtalog 1.0.4 - Feedback & Desiderata
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:39:25 +0100 (CET)

>> > 1. Every Disc (Folder, Media) gets a UNIQUE ID (preferably auto increased
>> > counter) that should, however, be editable.
>>
>> Already done. The disk name is considered as an id, and there cannot be 2
>> same ids.
>
> Well, I don't consider it a good idea to stick primarily to the cd lable: Some
> burning software just names any CD "new cd" by default. Also, I don't sort my
> CDs alphabetically, but chronologically, I just number them.

I think that some work can be done there. according to my understanding of our
need,
there is already a feature like this, but you need a numbering different than
the
existing one.

> Well, so far, I could just replace the lable by this number - a autonumber (as
> at "whereisit") can be quite practical here. BTW - is there any unique serial
> no. stored with every disk, so the programme can reckognize any CD whatever
> its lable is?

There was a talk about this on the mailing list: no, there is nothing unique.
An id is
generated from some data of the disk itself (manufacturer, size...) and from its
contents. I have not tried, but I presume that if you take a CD and make 2
copies on 2
identical CD-R, the id will be the same for both CD. And different for the
original CD.
And that also means that 2 different CD can have a similar "hash" value.

>> > 3. Vice Versa, but maybe most difficult, CSV files (or other interchange
>> > formats) should be merged into an existing Database (Catalogue)
>>
>> Right, this is something missing. But it is not so easy to do: we need some
>> cvs format interpreter somewhere.
>
> i just meant comma separated values, one just needs a tokenizer or something
> like this, in C, the fread() funciton acutally seperates the input stream at
> tabs or commas IIRC...

This could be a quick hack to obtain what you want. But I think it would be
better to
have a generic interpreter :)

> Okay, good luck

Thanks :)