gtktalog-devel

[Gtktalog-devel] [Fwd: Re: help with gtktalog Windows port]

From: Yves Mettier
Subject: [Gtktalog-devel] [Fwd: Re: help with gtktalog Windows port]
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:33:24 +0100 (CET)

I forward here :)

----------------------------------- Original Message
-----------------------------------
Subject: Re: help with gtktalog Windows port
From:    "Stefan Langer" <address@hidden>
Date:    Wed, December 10, 2003 14:49
To:      "Yves Mettier" <address@hidden>

Hi Yves,

I found the file, however, it seems too tough for me. I once wrote a JPG
parsing
program in VB which was hard enough, but I don't know how to approach  this one.
It could be a good idea to put the Windows issue up for discussion on the
GTKtalog web
site. I think if more Linux programs were available in Windows  so that you can
get
comfortable with them, it would make more people switch  to Linux in the end -
it was
the same with me; I only started with Linux when  OpenOffice came out and I had
replacement for Microsoft Office.

Well, for now I will continue using Advanced Disk Catalog over Wine, which
works quite
well.

Anyway, thanks for your help; if I can do anything for you guys (translating
or such)
then get back in touch!

Au revoir,

        Stefan

Am Dienstag, 9. Dezember 2003 03:56 schrieben Sie:
> Hi,
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > perhaps you could help me with the following issue:
> > I changed from MS to Linux some time ago, but my family and colleagues
> > still use
Windows. I like GTKtalog very much and intend to use it; however, I need a
program
which produces disk catalogs readable under MS Windows. I thought about porting
GTKtalog to Windows. Unfortunately, I'm not capable of programming C, but I'm
quite
experienced with VisualBasic (don't laugh now!)

> > If you could provide me with a clear description of your file format, then
> > I could
probably write a GTKtalog Windows clone in VB.

> Read some file called README.catalog or something similar, in the docs/
> directory.
>
> > I guess it would be easier and smarter porting it by recompiling the C
> > source in
Windows, but I don't know how to, and anyway I couldn't bugfix it if the port
wouldn't work in the first place. But maybe there is someone who is capable of
doing
that ?!

> Some work has already be done there: some people sent me patches that are
> included in
the sources. But I have no idea of how to proceed to compile GTKtalog on win32.
I will
not be able to help you more than that, except maybe it you ask me questions.

--
- Homepage    - http://ymettier.free.fr - http://www.logicacmg.com -
- GPG key     - http://ymettier.free.fr/gpg.txt                    -