Re: beyond smobs (Was: programmed gc mark and free sweeps...)

From: Michael Livshin
Subject: Re: beyond smobs (Was: programmed gc mark and free sweeps...)
Date: 20 Sep 2000 23:54:46 +0300

[ note: this is also cross-mailed to guile-devel, as that seems
  more appropriate ]

"Lars J. Aas" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm getting visions of being able to hook up generic methods from C for
> the C-based types instead of using the scm_make_gsubr() system.  Is that
> part of your vision too?

yes indeed.

the "C methods" part needs an FFI library.  there are two free FFI
libs that I'm aware of (libffi & ffcall).  both have been interfaced
to Guile (I don't know how widely used and current the interfaces are,
though), so ideally we should just provide some common Scheme-level
interface that should work with both.

the "C-based types" part will be taken care of shortly after GOOPS is
integrated.

if you have any concrete requirements, feel free to air them in
guile-devel!

--
C program run -- Run program run -- Run, C program, Run! -- (please)