Re: Scheme file docstring format

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: Re: Scheme file docstring format
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 08:37:34 +0100

> From: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
> Date: 16 Feb 2001 18:45:37 +0000
>
> OK, I'd like to propose a format for Scheme file docstrings, and also
> the rule for how the snarfer finds these docstrings.
>
> First the format:

[snip format, rules and examples]

> What do you think?

I think that sounds reasonable.  Only one comment: I think the
docstrings should use texinfo markup, so that integration into the
manual is easier.  The snarfed docstrings could be processed by
makeinfo for producing the text-only version, like it is already done
for docstrings in source files.

I was wondering whether is is okay to write the docstring snarfing
script in Scheme?  On one hand, we would have to distruibute the
generated docstring files with Guile, as to avoid bootstrapping
problems, on the other hand it would be nice to use Guile for
maintainance (simply because programming Scheme is more fun than
programming a set of awk/sed/shell magic).

Regards,
  'martin
--
Martin Grabmueller              address@hidden