Re: address@hidden: Re: iff?]

From: Ian Grant
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Re: iff?]
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 11:03:20 +0100

> anyone object to adding this to doc/preface.texi?

 [ snip ]

> @item
> For some procedures, notably type predicates, we use "iff" to mean
> "if and only if".  The construct is usually something like: "Return
> #t iff CONDITION."

No, but if we add this we might as well add an explanation of what "if and only
if" means.  How about

This typically means that #t is returned if CONDITION holds, and that #f is
returned otherwise.

But this is not strictly true is it?  Often a true return value is just a
non-#f value, e.g. (or #f 2 3) => 2.  So perhaps we should write 'true' instead
of '#t' in all the above.
--
Ian Grant, Computer Lab., New Museums Site, Pembroke Street, Cambridge
Phone: +44 1223 334420          Personal e-mail: iang at pobox dot com