Re: Do we have a standard for error checking/handling?

From: Sam Tregar
Subject: Re: Do we have a standard for error checking/handling?
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 17:20:39 -0400 (EDT)

> While porting SRFI-19, I started wondering about error handling
> issues.  The reference implementation has fairly careful checks of all
> arguments, etc. which is great from a debugging perspective, but not
> so great from a performance perspective.  So after looking at other
> scheme code in Guile, I took the middle ground of not checking the
> argument types except in cases where not checking the type of the
> argument could cause a nasty silent failure.

Would it be possible to use some kind of conditionally-expanded macro for
this?  Developers could do "(type-checking on)" at the top of their code
when they want slow type checking in effect throughout Guile's modules.
Then, when all is well they can change it to "(type-checking off)" and get
the benefit of faster execution.  Sounds like a new standard module could
be off use here.

-sam