Re: thoughts about 1.6 release

From: Ariel Rios
Subject: Re: thoughts about 1.6 release
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:24:50 -0400 (EDT)

> All good ideas.  We can grab much of the info for a summary from NEWS.
Yep. Altho these announcements should be aimed at non guile non
scheme non lisp users / developers so we can get new converts to the guile
world.

Statements like:

"The Guile Object Oriented Programming System (GOOPS) has been
integrated into Guile."

or
"
Greedy guardians are the default because they are more "defensive".
You can only greedily guard an object once.  If you guard an object
more than once, once in a greedy guardian and the rest of times in
sharing guardians, then it is guaranteed that the object won't be
returned from sharing guardians as long as it is greedily guarded
and/or alive."

are known for being bad at converting people.
=)

> While it would be nice to have everything working at the time of the
> release, I suspect that might not be easy.  I think we should probably
> notify the relevant authors and let them handle it on their own
> schedule, helping explain things if/when they need it.
>
> I'd rather not delay the release too long for this.
Yes indeed. But we should try at least. So we can say in our press
realese: "guile 1.6 is supported by gnumeric, gnome-guile and bla bla bla"
Or something like that...

> upgrade guile.  That's why gnucash still has to support guile 1.3.X.
> RH users can't install a newer guile without breaking all the other
> packages that depend on it.
This seems something important.

> Does the RH maintainer hang out here by any chance, or does anyone
> know him/her?
>
> > -Have a guile 1.5 release so we can check that everythins is right
>
> That's the first step.  As soon as people decide they're ready (or by
> the 21st, whichever comes first), I'm going to branch CVS.  The main
> branch will be bumped to version 1.7.0, and the side-branch which will
> be the stable release branch, will stay in the 1.5.X range.  Then I'll
> start following the steps in RELEASE, including asking people for
> testing on various arches...
Agreed. That's what I had in mind =)

ariel