Re: Pictures in the manual

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Pictures in the manual
Date: 25 May 2001 02:11:31 +0200

Martin Grabmueller <address@hidden> writes:

> With Xfig, we can produce EPS, PDF and JPEG versions of the
> pictures, so we don't limit ourselves to some specific output
> format.  That's why I think the Manual would really be improved by
> some clarifying illustrations, where appropriate.  As we say in
> German: `A picture tells more than thousand words'.  Oder so
> aehnlich.

In another project, I have toyed with using TeXinfo together with
pictures.  It generally worked OK, although there were some spacing
problems and some bugs in texinfo.tex, if I remember correctly.
Netscaoe has problems with transparent PNGs, so I hacked the html to
have a white background, just like the PNGs.  In any case in can be
made to work.

I have FIG and ASCII versions of the figures as the source format, and
used the following Makefile.am for producing info, html and pdf
output.

    info_TEXINFOS = gossip-sim.texi

    PICS_FIG = example-1.fig example-2.fig
    PICS_TXT = example-1.txt example-2.txt

    PICS_PDF = example-1.pdf example-2.pdf
    PICS_EPS = example-1.eps example-2.eps
    PICS_PNG = example-1.png example-2.png

    gossip-sim.dvi: $(PICS_EPS)

    gossip-sim.pdf: gossip-sim.texi $(PICS_PDF)
            texi2dvi --pdf $<

    gossip-sim.html: gossip-sim.texi $(PICS_PNG)
            LANG="" makeinfo --html $< -o - | $(srcdir)/fix-html >$@

    %.eps: %.fig
            fig2dev -Lps $< $@

    %.pdf: %.eps
            epstopdf $<

    %.png: %.fig
            fig2dev -Lpng -m1.5 $< $@

    EXTRA_DIST = $(PICS_FIG) $(PICS_EPS) $(PICS_PDF) $(PICS_TXT)