Making C programs safe

From: Mark Seaborn
Subject: Making C programs safe
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:15:39 +0100

Hello Guile developers,

You may be interested in something I have been working on: a scheme
for translating C programs into a safe language.  This has
applications for extension languages like Guile, since it allows C
programs to be subjected to precise garbage collection, among other
things.  So a C program using Guile could be recompiled with this
scheme to give a potential performance improvement, as well as
improving reliability.  I've put a draft of a description of the
scheme at
<http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mrs35/comp/safe-c/making-c-programs-safe.txt>.
Any comments on this are welcome!

I am planning on implementing this next year at university.  If people
on this list are interested, I can keep you informed about my
progress.

--
         Mark Seaborn
   - address@hidden - http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~mrs35/ -

  A few months in the laboratory often saves several hours at the library.