Re: JACAL, scm

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: JACAL, scm
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:14:10 -0700

   From: Tom Lord <address@hidden>
   Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 21:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

           multiple languages compile down
           to Scheme, and then run from guile.

   That was never a goal.   Mulitple syntaxes and specialized
   sublanguages were a goal.  Elisp is special.

these are fundamentally the same goals.

   Ctax was a good examle, before it was gratuitously thrown away.

i'm sure it was designed w/ resistence to minor platform toppling.

the current TODO sez:

>- write translators for additional languages
>  - Perl
>  - Python
>  - TCL
>  - Emacs Lisp
>  - Rexx

to me this indicates that whatever transformers we do have (ctax and
spawn, presumably) are ripe w/ "guile transformer api v.1" that needs to
be hewn from current code, documented, and published.  who's going to do
this hatchet job?

generally the plan for transformers seems to be, implement those that
work on whatever useful subset of reality you're interested in and then
play w/ one or two.  communication is pre-wiki (blatent plug[1] ;-).

so really, now all we have to do is unearth the original plans and match
them up against deconstructed implementations, folding in newer plans in
the process, avoiding meddling teenagers.  no sweat.

thi

[1] http://www.glug.org/bin/wikid.cgi?p=0 (0.7)
    http://www.glug.org/bin/wikid-0.80.cgi?index=full (patched)
    http://www.glug.org/tmp/wikid-0.80.log.txt