Re: Segfault when using readline and dynamically linked code

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Segfault when using readline and dynamically linked code
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 14:52:47 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> i just encountered a strange problem: i wrote some small wrapper
> code that creates guile bindings for some external
> library. Everything works fine (thank's for the nice documentation)
> _unless_ i activate readline support.  As soon as i use the tab key
> guile segfaults.  Using readline without my custom module works
> without any problems, so i assume the segfault is caused by my
> code. As a starting point i compiled guile and my module with
> debuging support, but the backtraces i get aren't very helpfull:

This may be a bug in libc that was recently plaguing galeon, mozilla,
and at least one of the java runtimes.  If you run a really recent
libc, try udating to the very latest one (i.e. whatever's in Debian
unstable).

Up until yesterday, I had been chasing this exact same segfault for
several days.  I don't know for sure that libc was the cause, but I
did update to the latest Debian unstable, and the bug is gone.

After the bug vanished, I asked around, and several people told me
about the galeon issue.

FWIW

--
Rob Browning