Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.

From: Keith Wright
Subject: Re: Guile 1.5.4 beta ready for testing.
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 03:05:57 -0400

> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> [...]
> > > after which the make command finishes but the final program just says
> > >
> > > ERROR: no code for module (readline-activator)
> > >
> > > Installing it doesn't help.
> >
> > What do you mean with `Installing it doesn't help'? It should.

I mean that running "make install" and using the version in /usr/local
gives identical behaviour.

> > I know that using readline with an uninstalled Guile does not work
> > because the readline support (Scheme-)code is expected to live in
> > ice-9, and installation copies it there.  Before installation it is
> > not found.

Will not $GUILE_LOAD_PATH take care of that?  I would be happy if
it used fgets for readline and evaluated an expression, no matter how
troublesome to type.  If ./configure can not figure out how to put
it in, then leave it out cleanly.

> See also my related posting in the list: It seems that guile can't
> find the dll for readline support (the error message 'no code' seems
> to indicate that guile can read (ice-9 readline) but can't load the
> dll:
> ;; ice-9/readline.scm

I have no dll.  I should have mentioned that both machines are running
a Redhat Linux 6.?, the one that doesn't work runs a Gnome compiled
from downloaded source of no particular version, but I have been using
it (almost) daily for gcc cross-compilation and TeX, so it's not borken.

I noticed that ./configure said something about not having readline
installed, both on the machine that didn't work and on one that did.
(I now have successfully compiled and installed on two out of three.)
In fact they all have /usr/lib/libreadline.so, but I am not so sure
about libreadline.a.  Is it wrong to have only one?

> I was able to fix this problem by running guile in an environment where
> '/usr/local/lib' is in 'LD_LIBRARY_PATH' (my $prefix for guile being
> '/usr/local'), but i consider this only a workarround.

Didn't try anything like that.  (the machine in quesion is not near
my e-mail machine, so I forget)

> Regarding Marius' suggestion in a previous mail: i _did_ run ldconfig
> manually after module installation, without the wanted effect:

My ldconfig ran without incident.

> Or, interactive:
>
>   address@hidden:/etc/X11/pwm$ guile -q
>   guile> (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
>   ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:

I don't get that far.  My error is before typing anything.

--
     -- Keith Wright  <address@hidden>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---