Re: module trickery

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: module trickery
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:58:45 -0500

Marius, is eval-in-module the 1.4 equivalent of the current two arg
eval?  Also, how much (if you know off the top of your head) has
changed from 1.4 to 1.5 wrt to syntax-case?  Could your changes to
support/use export-syntax be relevant here?

Thomas, don't know if this is actually germane, but in case it helps,
I played around with syncase a bit a while back (when messing with
hobbit and when fixing syncase's gensym), and though much of what I
figured out has faded a bit.  One gross-level detail I recall is that
using (ice-9 syncase) redefines eval.  pssyntax.ss requires the scheme
implementation provide an eval that doesn't try to expand any further
(via calling sc-expand) whenever it's given a form whose car is
"noexpand".  See the bottom of syncase.scm for the relevant bit of
code.  Also note the hack used to make syncase work right in slib
which involves setting the '*sc-expander* property of 'define in that
module to '(define).

Hopefully we'll be unifying the various macro systems in the not too
distant future as part of our evaluation "clean up", and this will all
be a bit more straightforward.

> I'm quite flexible here... anything that lets me set up the relevant
> module and do eval-in-module will be fine by me.  Switching from
> Guile 1.4 to the latest 1.5 test release is not unacceptible, if it
> will really work.

Don't know offhand, but if you're up to it and it's not too much work,
the more people that can try out the tarfile, the better :>

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu