Re: Recent change to syncase.scm

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: Recent change to syncase.scm
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 08:01:28 +0100

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've enabled Guile macro macro expansion in syntax-case macro
>> expansion.  This means that, for the first time, Guile macros and
>> syntax-case macros should play reasonably well together.
>>
>> One of the good effects is that goops code now can use syntax-case
>> macros.
>
> Hmm, I wonder if this means that hobbit might be closer to working
> again.  One of the big issues last time I was playing with it was that
> there was no way to get all macros "fully expanded" before passing
> them to hobbit.

This is true, although there are some caveats: The syntax-case macro
expansion code does not expand macros of type "syntax" (acros).  While
this would be easy to do, it is not meaningful since acros should be
evaluated during evaluation-time.  Also, macros which depend on the
detailed representation of the environment will fail.

I suggest you have a look at the expansion code in syncase.scm.  It's
quite simple.  It basically only extracts the transformer and calls
it.