Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)

From: Max Techter
Subject: Re: Doc organization (Re: Around again, and docs lead role)
Date: 08 May 2003 18:21:47 +0200

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>     Ricard> As a user who is learning Scheme to customize and extend
>     Ricard> Guile-using programs, I expect the Guile documentation to
>     Ricard> contain a section for each programming language (C and
>     Ricard> Scheme for sure; translated languages maybe).  Then I need
                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Ricard> to read just the Scheme section (and maybe also a general
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     Ricard> introduction).
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

snip

      What about a tutorial, Ricard?

Hi,

I am new to guile,
my name is max.

I came across guile, when I gathered information about:

        What makes up a GNU Package.

As I got it:

        The decision was and is:

        The GNU Glue, should be GUILE.

Being interested in providing my own stuff to the GNU
Project and/or in giving help to another GNU Package,
I accepted the need to dive into GUILE.

Thus I naturally had an eye on this thread
about the need of restructuring and improving the
documentation.

> My latest thinking is that we could be a lot more concrete, even
> proscriptive, about what Guile is for and how people should use it,
> and that if we did so it would be a lot easier to clearly assess the
> state of the documentation and to finish it off.

> (Right now, IMO, it is difficult even to describe the
> documentation status.)

     My first impression was:
        Oops...
        such an important project, but obviously
        abandoned...

     The documentation is one of the first important
     impressions a (potential) user gets.

     I typically look out for a tutorial, immediately
     after installation. Not to learn, but to find out:

        is this something for me?

> Specifically, I think we should (**) promote doing as much programming
> as possible in Scheme,

      Yeah.

> and restrict documentation of the C API to the
> parts needed for interfacing Scheme to C code.
snip

      Yeah.

> , I think the natural high level documentation structure
> would then be:

     I am missing, things like:

        * Tutorial

        * Introduction

                ** Background, History
                ** Advantages

        Basic Concepts, or whatever

        * Rational / Advocacy

                ** nothing you can`t do with lisp like
                   languages,

                ** hackable, short path to C

                ** scientific background

        * GOOPS

                (proof of the `nothing you can`t do
                statement)

        * R5RS

        * Other freely available or even included documentation

     (Some of these sections need not be high volume
     but they serve important purposes.)

> - Scheme reference documentation - more or less like the current Part
>   IV, but Scheme only, not C.

> - Task-based documentation describing everything needed for aspects of
>   interfacing with C code:

        Task based structuring the meat of the documentation
        is an idea I like, Neil.

        That`s what we use software for:
                Solving Tasks
                (beside for having incredible fun, of cause =:)

>   - writing and exporting primitives (in modules)

>   - smobs, GC, lifetimes etc.

>   - Guile initialization from within a library

>   - how to call out to a Scheme-defined procedure

>   - how to look up a Scheme-defined variable

>   - how to evaluate user-supplied code and catch errors

>   - (anything else that I've missed).

> Which has something in common with your thoughts.
>
> That's what I'm thinking now, anyway.  I think (**) may be quite
> controversial,
> so that at least needs a lot more discussion first.

        Here we are...

regards
max.