Re: documentation.scm close files

From: tomas
Subject: Re: documentation.scm close files
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 10:46:53 +0200

On Sat, May 24, 2003 at 11:50:24AM +1000, Kevin Ryde wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> >
> > it seems important to me to make even clearer that the garbage collector
> > is triggered when we are short on memory
>
> Yep, good point.  New words below.

Wow. Thanks.

> I guess some sort of file descriptor threshold scheme might be cute.
> Like garbage collect after every 10 or 20 files net opened (ie. opens
> less explicit closes).
>
> I suppose to be reliable such a scheme would need to be carefully
> applied to all functions opening or closing fds.  Not much value if
> it's not universal.

But file descriptors are just one of many possible resources
which might run low and which might be recovered from gc.
(that's what I was trying to hint at with this strange Oracle
anecdote). Would it be worth implementing a generalized resource
watcher framework? Are fds important enough to implement a
special case for them? May be...

Regards
-- tomas