Re: doc libdir and C code modules

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: doc libdir and C code modules
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 10:31:09 +0100

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I added the words below to the manual as the last subsection in
> "Dynamic Libraries", to encourage packages to use libdir.  I don't
> want to re-open the can of worms about versioning and stuff, this is
> intended just to describe the present situation.

Cool!

>    When loaded with `(use-modules (foo bar))', the `load-extension'
> call looks for the `foobar-c-code.so' object file in the standard
> system locations, such as `/usr/lib' or `/usr/local/lib'.

Shouldn't there be a note saying that the actual shared library name
will follow the system's naming convention, be it `libfoobar-c-code.so',
`libfoobar-c-code.sl', `foobar-c-code.dll', etc.?  Perhaps with a link
to `(libtool.info.gz)Libltdl interface' mentioning `lt_dlopenext ()'?

Thanks,
Ludovic.