Building guile-1.8.2 on hpux

From: John David Anglin
Subject: Building guile-1.8.2 on hpux
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 13:32:29 -0400

As it stands, guile-1.8.2 doesn't build on hpux because of a few minor
configuration issues.

I've attached a patch which addresses a couple of issues.  The two
remaining issues were addressed by hacking the generated config.h
(i.e., I don't have a fix for them).

I initially tried building guile-1.8.2 on hpux10.20 (needed an
update from 1.6 for another package).  hpux10.20 doesn't have
posix complient versions of gmtime_r and readdir_r.  I was able
to work around the difference in declarations for gmtime_r, but
I wasn't able to do this for readdir_r.  Probably, the readdir_r
configure check needs updating to check for a posix compliant
version.

In hpux10, _REENTRANT needs to be defined to get declarations
for _r routines.  There's small hacks in the change for this.

The other issue is the check for socklen_t.  HP-UX 10.20 doesn't
define socklen_t.  With gcc-4.2.0 (i.e., when _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED
is defined), the socklen_t type needs to be size_t.  HP-UX 11
typedefs socklen_t to size_t in <sys/socket.h>.  The comment in
config.h says configure looks in <sys/types.h>.  I haven't looked
at the code but it's possible the check will fail and socklen_t
will be set to int.  Since the declaration for getsockopt and
others assume size_t, the build fails.  I edited config.h to work
around this.

HP-UX doesn't have 64-bit directory operations, so I hacked the
header to always provide 32 bit versions.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  address@hidden
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)