Re: guile-vm .go files in GUILE_LOAD_PATH

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile-vm .go files in GUILE_LOAD_PATH
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 23:14:03 +0200

Heya Dale,

On Thu 18 Sep 2008 22:49, <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm pretty sure the case of not using the already installed system .scm
> files while building is handled now.

It is, but only because the uninstalled dirs are before the installed
dirs.

I committed a patch to the vm branch to remove the installed dirs from
guile's load path when running as pre-inst-guile:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=02b84691b274155f4528f99e90fbe39c77ed546d

NB, relative to master, that patch depends on this one:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commitdiff;h=be52b55a3213c8f683d1007a542771daa3f9a06b

> I'm thinking more along the lines
> of some user wanted to override a system file for some reason. This
> issue came up for me when I wanted to use a newer gnus than what came
> with the system supplied emacs. At that time I didn't have admin privs
> so I just installed gnus somewhere under my home dir and made sure that
> the emacs load path searched there first. Can this situation ever come
> up in Guile? Maybe.

Sure it can. Hopefully you could get through it via the newer-than
check... but I do see your point.

> As Neil mentioned, emacs is a good example to follow. That's why I'm
> suggesting this.

I did look at its docs for quite some time before implementing it the
way that I did. That said, your solution may be the better one in the
long term. Does anyone else have an opinion?

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/