Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile 1.8 success on `i386-apple-darwin9.6.0'
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:36:06 +0100

Hi Neil,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm not sure about moving stack-limit-calibration.scm from TESTS to
> BUILT_SOURCES.  The point of putting it in TESTS was to help with
> cross-compiling.  When cross-compiling, my understanding is that
> `make' should be run in a build host environment, and `make check' in
> a target host environment.  stack-limit-calibration.scm should be
> calculated in the target host environment, so it makes better sense to
> do it as part of `make check' than as part of `make'.

Hmm, right.  OTOH, my impression was that tools like Scratchbox had
taken the world over, meaning that cross-compilation usually takes place
as "native" compilation in an emulated target environment.

The thing is that `stack-limit-calibration.scm' is really needed in
cases like this.  Maybe we could detect in `configure' whether we are
cross-compiling and conditionalize build of
`stack-limit-calibration.scm' on that?

>>     (The calibrated stack limit on this machine is 45771, i.e., slightly
>>      more than on GNU/Linux.)
>
> Isn't that 2.5 times more?  (i.e. not "slightly" :-))  I believe the
> GNU/Linux limit is 20000.

It's been 40000 since commit 32c8ae20.

> Moving internal things into non-installed headers feels like the best
> thing to me.

There are internal declarations in essentially every `.h' (88 files).
Presumably we'd have to put them in a single `.h' rather than creating
88 new headers.  The drawback is that declarations would thus live in a
header whose name does not match the name of files where the definitions
occur.

Thanks,
Ludo'.