Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: i guess we're frozen & stuff
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:45:09 -0400

On Aug 11, 2009, at 09:59, Ken Raeburn wrote:
ERROR: In procedure make_objcode_by_mmap:
ERROR: bad header on object file: "GOOF-0.6-LE-4---"

Ah, that was an old compiled file cached away in $HOME/.cache/ guile/... that I needed to delete in order to make the tests pass.

I re-ran the test suite for the 1.9.1 release, and it creates a file with "GOOF-0.6" under ~/.cache/guile/ccache/1.9/... whereas the current master code creates (and requires?) a file with "GOOF-0.9" under the same prefix (and both appending the full pathname). So if I had built and tested guile-1.9.1 and then I update to 1.9.2 in the same directory (e.g., stripping off the version number so it can be found as "guile" in my project tree), it will fail its tests, if I don't know to get rid of this hidden cache file, and its pathname is not actually mentioned in the error message. That's kind of bad.

It appears that the word size and endianness is also encoded into the header. Is this a good idea, when people can share home directories across machines of different architectures, and even run mixed-size binaries on a single system (or mixed-architecture, in some cases)?

Ken