Re: Removing memoizers from the 1.8 public API?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Removing memoizers from the 1.8 public API?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 12:49:04 +0100

> Hello!
>
> I'm tempted to apply these two patches to 1.8:
>

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=4d0949ea45c46dd13e767a8a3342d02caef1b483
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=b3ce13b667634be30ab2d74b8ccb1de190d7aeeb
>
> It cleans the name space and potentially makes memoization slightly
> faster (because it removes the indirection through the PLT).
>
> Opinions?

Personally I wouldn't apply either of these for 1.8, as the case for
them seems weak in comparison with the risk.

If the temptation is strong, though, I'd add that

- 4d0949 looks safe.  It's arguably just a bug that these functions
  were ever exposed, and I don't think that anyone will actually have
  found them useful outside libguile.

- b3ce13 looks like a non-starter to me.  By putting those function in
  SCM_ENABLE_DEPRECATED we've explicitly acknowledged IMO that there
  are possible reasonable uses for them; so removing them in the
  middle of a stable series would be very odd.

Regards,
        Neil