Re: make check fails if no en_US.iso88591 locale

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: make check fails if no en_US.iso88591 locale
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 05:44:56 -0700

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 12:27 +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I built today’s ‘master’ on a ppc64 box and there are many
> regexp-related errors and a surprisingly high number of unresolved
> regexp-related tests:
>
>   http://autobuild.josefsson.org/guile/log-200909100539539848000.txt
>
> This machine only has the following locales:

>   en_US.utf8
>   POSIX

I'm not surprised to see the unresolved, since I'd wrapped a lot of
those tests to throw unresolved if a Latin-1 locale wasn't found.  The
errors are a surprise: they indicate that my strategy for wrapping in a
Latin-1 locale isn't correct.

The reason for declaring a Latin-1 locale was to allow
scm_to/from_locale_string to convert a scheme string with values from 0
to 255 to an 8-bit binary C string.  The regexp.test runs on arbitrary
binary data which wasn't a problem in guile-1.8 since
scm_to/from_locale_string did no real locale conversion.

I could fix the test by testing only characters 0 to 127 in a C locale
if a Latin-1 locale can't be found.  I can also fix the test by using
the 'setbinary' function to force the encodings on stdin and stdout to a
default value that will pass through binary data, instead of calling
'setlocale'.  The procedure 'setbinary' was always a hack, and I kind of
want to get rid of it, but, this is why it was created.

I looked in the POSIX spec on Regex for specific advice using 128-255 in
regex in the C locale.  I didn't see anything offhand.  The spec does
spend a lot of time talking about the interaction between the locale and
regular expressions.  I get the impression from the spec that using
regex on 128-255 in the C locale is an unexpected use of regular
expressions.

Thanks,
Mike