Re: ffi docs

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: ffi docs
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 00:01:49 +0200

Hi,

On Wed 07 Apr 2010 23:38, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I reorganized the manual sections on dynamic linking, and wrote some
>> sections on the dynamic FFI. I'm appending a text rendering of the
>> documentation. Comments welcome!
>
> Not much to say, apart from the fact that I’m happy with all this work!
> :-)

Thanks! Much of it, including some bits you pointed out, were already
there; but it's always good to revise :)

>>      ;; struct timeval {
>>      ;;      time_t      tv_sec;     /* seconds */
>>      ;;      suseconds_t tv_usec;    /* microseconds */
>>      ;; };
>>      ;; assuming fields are of type "long"
>
> I think this assumption is one of the main pitfalls of a dynamic FFI.
> More generally, a problem is that there’s no compile-time check that the
> bindings correspond to the C code.  How about adding a paragraph to
> mention it?

Good point. (FWIW, the assumption about `long' actually comes from the
man page.)

> BTW, I remember seeing occurrences of “her” in new material, where I’d
> personally prefer “their” (see <http://aetherlumina.com/gnp/>).

FWIW I like to alternate. Sometimes "their" sounds a bit muddy. "Her" is
somewhat jarring but in a good way I think. Generally agreed though.

http://wingolog.org/