Re: Building without posix

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Building without posix
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 16:30:02 +0200

Hi :)

On Thu 30 Jun 2011 16:17, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> I think the compile-time option can be useful when building on a “raw”
> or old system, which doesn’t support all the POSIX bits we wrap, or on a
> slow system.

But we check for all of the bits we do wrap, no?  It seems to me that
--disable-posix is about decreasing size, not about enabling Guile to
build on more systems.  And in fact can you think of any systems in the
last 10 years for which --disable-posix would allow you to do something
interesting?

> For instance, when we port Guile to run on the bare metal, we’ll be
> happy that ‘--disable-posix --disable-networking --disable-threads’
> nicely delimits the contour of what we need, won’t we?

This is crazy :)  We can't anticipate the needs of any such port, so
it's pointless to maintain options that probably don't work.

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/