Re: Halt while building guile

From: gregory benison
Subject: Re: Halt while building guile
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 07:09:29 -0700

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM, Nala Ginrut <address@hidden> wrote:
> I didn't saw any error with your information, and I think it's normal. The
> *.go compiling is very slow even if you have a good machine. So be patient.

Yes compiling these files is quite expensive and I have found that it
can run into resource limitations.  A case study - I was recently
trying to install guile-2.0.5 on a shared hosting account.  The build
process would always halt during compilation of eval.go due to limits
placed on memory use.  The solution I eventually adopted was to steal
an already-compiled eval.go file for that architecture from a Debian
package of guile, drop that into the build tree, and restart the
building process - and it resulted in a working guile.

So while it is possible that the build issues you are seeing are due
to some kind of deadlock as others have suggested, I would not rule
out that this is a problem with some sort of resource limit and that
once you get guile compiled on your system it will function correctly
for less-demanding applications.

--
Greg Benison <address@hidden>
[blog] http://gcbenison.wordpress.com