Re: 1.8 ‘send’ bug + re-engagement

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 1.8 ‘send’ bug + re-engagement
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 22:53:15 +0200

Hi,

Mike Gran <address@hidden> skribis:

> The big issues with moving to 2.0 that I've seen expressed are
> non-portability,

I don’t think 2.0 is less portable than 1.8; there’s room for
improvement (MinGW, pthread support), but it’s not a disaster either.

> number of dependencies,

There’s are two on-going things that should help this:
gl_LIBUNISTRING_OPTIONAL, and mini-gmp.

> API churn,

Some of the API has been deprecated, but usually in a
backwards-compatible way.  So we’d need to see concrete issues (we’ve
seen some already, and most or all were addressed, IIRC.)

> and general dislike of pkg-config.

Well, one can still do without it.

Anyway, people should evaluate the cost/benefit ratio.  For me, the
benefits clearly outweigh the cost, but some people seem to be on the
half-empty-glass side.  ;-)

>   Since some of these are religious issues, I think 1.8 is going to be
> around for quite a while, since it takes a while for people to lose
> their faith.  Another 1.8 release might be warranted.

Yeah.

Thanks for your feedback,
Ludo’.