Re: Guile parsing html and htmlprag.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guile parsing html and htmlprag.
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 14:28:17 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> address@hidden (Taylan Ulrich B.) writes:
>
>> If I'm not mistaken, having a nontrivial amount of code (e.g. whole
>> module) become part of the official Guile distribution requires the
>> copyright of the code (and subsequent contributions) to be assigned to
>> the FSF.  So both you and all original authors of htmlprag would need to
>> officially assign their copyright.
>
> That can't be right, because Guile has already imported several modules
> of similar size without copyright assignment. e.g. SSAX, match, and
> several SRFI implementations.  Htmlprag is distributed under the LGPL
> 2.1 or later, which should be fine for us.

Indeed.  When importing third-party code, it is usually unreasonable to
ask the author(s) to assign copyright for code that was not initially
written for Guile (info "(maintain) Copying from Other Packages").

For Htmlprag to be considered for inclusion in Guile, it would need to
have good documentation, a reasonable test suite, and an API that looks
good (I don’t know whether this is the case, just giving the check list
in case ;-)).

Ludo’.