Re: MinGW vs. c-api.test

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: MinGW vs. c-api.test
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 12:31:14 -0400

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 06:04:57PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > But my Git Bash shell on Windows (at work) gives me paths like /<drive
> > letter>/...
> > For example:
> >
> >   address@hidden /c/work/icp (master)
> >   $ pwd
> >   /c/work/icp
> >
> > I think that shell is provided by MinGW/MSYS - so does that mean that
> > the regexp check
> > above might not be correct in all contexts on Windows?
>
> Isn’t it rather provided by Cygwin?
>
> I would think that (getcwd) on Cygwin would return /c/... whereas
> (getcwd) on MinGW would return C:\..., no?

My coworkers use MinGW, and it does expose [A-Z]:\ as /[a-z]/; all paths in
MinGW are expected to be Unix-style.

I used the `uname` binary to determine if MinGW was being used with shell
scripts; it returns "MINGW32_NT-6.1". I do not know what Cygwin returns.
That said, I'm expecting that Guile's (uname) will return something wholly
different depending on what was used to compile it! Another method I used
was also checking the MSYSTEM environment variable, which is set to
"MINGW32" on those systems.

All that said, on msys:

  $ echo foo > C:\foo
  $ cat /c/foo