Re: [Lightning] Verifying Toolchain Semantics

From: Ian Grant
Subject: Re: [Lightning] Verifying Toolchain Semantics
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 15:47:09 -0400

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 3:24 PM, Philip Herron
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I think what we want is your posts really are not 100% related to
> development of the respective development. Its flooding mailboxes.

Yes, well, mailboxes get flooded ... Haven't you got a kill list, or a
filter that says "Ian Grant's crap."

The reason it gets flooded is that people keep writing unreasonable
things about me, or about what I've written, on this list, (and
sometimes don't even send them directly to me (I am not subscribed)).
I think I have the right to respond to these things, since they appear
on a public list. If you think otherwise, then you are welcome to tell
me why. If you don't want me to reply to the list, then send me a
_private_ mail, clearly giving the reasons why you think I don't have
this right. If you send it to the list, all the better, but consider
that my reply may also go the list, and thereby be the cause of more
traffic that _others_ may not be interested in reading.

> If you want to contribute, open source is a meritocracy we don't
> really hold meetings talking about ideas. You implement something and
> it goes from there. Your probably a great guy but your posts over the
> last few months irritate my a lot because its just all open ended
> discussion stuff.

You read it all then? A lot of it is "all open ended discussion", and
that is what irritates me too. I posted 8 pages explaining why we need
to have these discussions, so that we can steer separate projects in
mutually beneficial directions. We need to discuss these possible
directions in public, and in a cooperative atmosphere of intelligent
mutual exploration of possibilities, with contributions from all the
different projects.

It's no good just individually "hacking code" and sending in patches,
because the overall direction gets lost, and people don't benefit from
working together, they end up working alone, and competing for
developer attention against other developers on the same project!!

And it's clear to me that compared to how this project worked sixteen
or so years ago, it has completely lost its direction, and it has
hardly progressed at all.  And I daresay this will provoke screams of
outrage from dozens of people that didn't even know what guile was
sixteen years ago, .... but that's "hackers" for you!

Ian