Re: Stuff I noticed compiling 2.0.13

From: Michael Vehrs
Subject: Re: Stuff I noticed compiling 2.0.13
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2017 10:01:12 +0100

On 01/06/2017 09:25 AM, address@hidden wrote:

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 08:14:11AM +0100, Michael Vehrs wrote:
Dear developers,

on Debian 8.6 (jessie), configure failed to find the right
libreadline, or failed to determine its version. Despite having
libreadline 6.0 installed, configure complained about needing at
least version 2.1. I then built and installed libreadline 7.0, and
used --with-readline-prefix, but the warning persisted. However, it
seems to have compiled with readline support, since at least basic
readline features are working.
I'm perhaps making a fool of myself by asking the obvious, but...
you had libreadline-dev installed, had you?

(Apologies in advance, but lacking context I thought better ask
than not).

regards
- -- tomás

No, the question is perfectly legitimate. In fact, I did not have the dev package installed due to unsatisfiable dependencies when I started. As a result, I would have expected configure to fail. That did not happen. Then, I installed a new readline myself, and now I see:

checking how to link with libreadline... /usr/local//lib/libreadline.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local//lib
checking for siginterrupt... (cached) yes
checking for rl_clear_signals... no
checking for rl_cleanup_after_signal... no
checking for rl_filename_completion_function... no
checking whether rl_catch_signals is declared... yes
checking whether rl_catch_sigwinch is declared... yes
checking for rl_get_keymap... no
checking for rl_getc_function pointer in readline... no
configure: WARNING: *** GNU Readline is too old on your system.
configure: WARNING: *** You need readline version 2.1 or later.

So, although configure knows where to find the library and although the header files are also available in /usr/local, it seems to be using something else.

Regards

Michael