Re: a cookbook

From: Vijay Marupudi
Subject: Re: a cookbook
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2022 12:01:33 -0500

> Is there any interest/possibility to have such a cookbook hosted
> within the Guile official documentation (as it is for Guix) ?

I personally think that a Cookbook should be an independent effort, with
links from the Guile Manual if possible. This would lighten the load on
the maintainers, and allow for quicker collaboration.

To start, I think people should write Guile tutorials about things they
know about, license them using an open license, and let the community
know about the tutorials. Compiling these tutorials into a Cookbook
should be easy then.

Many tutorials exist out there, they need to found and listed. For e.g.,
here is a very detailed tutorial by Erik Edrosa on how to setup an Guile
autotools package.

https://erikedrosa.com/2017/10/29/guile-projects-with-autotools.html

Or snippets to capture stdout and stderr from a process from Arne
Babenhauserheide.

https://www.draketo.de/software/guile-capture-stdout-stderr.html

Finding and compiling lists of existing tutorials and snippets would be
a productive way to start on this effort.

I've personally started on this effort yesterday, writing about error
handling in Guile.

https://vijaymarupudi.com/blog/2022-02-13-error-handling-in-guile.html

I'd be happy to create a website compiling everything together, but the
hard part is writing and finding the tutorials.

~ Vijay