How fast will the Guile VM be?

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: How fast will the Guile VM be?
Date: 02 Sep 2000 16:20:15 -0400

Hello,

I'm wondering how fast my VM is at present and how fast the prospective
Guile VM will be in the future.  I've heard QScheme has been the fastest
Scheme interpreter, so will the Guile VM which will probably integrate
my VM and the new QScheme become the fastest interpreter in the world
when it is done, unless another faster interpreter comes out?

However, I don't think the VM is faster than native-code compilers.
Dan said his goal with his new QScheme that uses a JIT compiler is to
have scheme code run only two times slower than equivalent C code.
On the other hand, I suppose some Scheme compilers produce native code
that run as efficient as or faster than C programs, right?  Do they
have slower interpreters or no interpreter?

There are lots of Scheme compilers/interpreters, so I don't quite
understand which one has what feature.  Is there a good summary of
features/benchmarks between several systems?

I'm not seeking for speed but just wondering.

Thanks,
Keisuke Nishida