Re: Octave and Guile?

From: Miroslav Silovic
Subject: Re: Octave and Guile?
Date: 16 Sep 2000 23:33:38 +0200

"John W. Eaton" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm personally more interested in what will be technically superior,
> and also what will be more fun to work with.

I picked Guile for my projects simply because it's a *lot* easier to
integrate with C code than anything else tried to work with. For one,
you can -really- easily define your own low-level types, and still not
worry about memory management issues (in fact, I found out that by
using Guile's GC, you can simplify the C code a lot - this isn't true
with either Perl or Python).

> Any comments would be welcome.  I'm not trying to start a flame war.
> I'd really like to know whether people think that Guile will have
> any real impact any time soon.  Could Octave provide some momentum
> for Guile, or would it just be seen as a minor development?

I considered looking into it myself, back when I had a lot more time
for playing with the code. It looked like the obvious Right Thing to
do.

--
How to eff the ineffable?