Embedded Guile command line input

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: Embedded Guile command line input
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 18:28:41 +0200

  Hi,

I've hooked up stdin input in my GTK+ application (gdk_add_input)
to a handler that reads input and sends it to Guile
(gh_eval_str_with_standard_handler).  I provided multi-line support
by having the user tail continued lines with \ - I tried to avoid it
by pushing multi-line chunks separated by Ctrl-D presses, but never
got the hang of it... :(  The best solution would of course be to
count the parenthesis (skip strings, etc) so evaluation is
automatically done when an expression is completed.  I figure support
functions for this type of functionality might already be provided in
Guile, and there are probably guidelines for making this work with
emacs (don't know why a vi-user like me care, though ;)...

Any hints?

  Lars J