Re: pretty-print

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: pretty-print
Date: 01 Oct 2000 15:46:57 +0200

thi <address@hidden> writes:

>    What about importing slib's pretty-print into the Guile distribution
>    as (ice-9 pretty-print)?  Will there be many fixes to pp.scm that
>    need to be ported in the future?
>
> it's hard to predict the future.  i have a feeling that slib's pp.scm is
> stable and relatively bug free, but perhaps there will be enhancements
> or reorganization.  generally, i wouldn't recommend increasing overlap.

Yes, my feelings exactly.  But I also don't like the way SLIB is
integrated into Guile right now.

> on the other hand, a nice project would be to be to write some
> macros that extend `define-module' so that slib's (foo:bar) could be
> used as (begin (use-modules (ice-9 foo)) (bar))...  i've played
> around w/ "renaming-export" modules, but iirc a patch i submitted to
> allow user extension of `define-module' was loudly ignored...

Hmm, I would like to have a system where you could do

    (use-modules (slib pp))

and you would get the equivalent of (require 'pp).  Maybe the SLIB
files would need to be changed tohave some kind of markup that says
which bindings hsould be exported, etc, but that should be to much
work and would hopefully be accepted into the upstream SLIB.